Westcoastmedia

NYC/International advertising/media guy and his family move west in search of...everything. Periodic rants about life, work, and the dog.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Don't Believe The Hype

Mi3 will probably do 50-53 Million dollars in Box Office this weekend, and there will be a decent amount of ink pushing the angle that it is a disappointment. Bollocks. That's more money than 95% of the other major releases can hope to deliver, regardless of whether no woman in her right mind under 50 would pay to see Tom Cruise without being coaxed into doing so.

I went to see the film earlier today and really liked it. For a dumb genre, this outing was pretty good for several reasons.

- Plot was easy to follow, and the outlandish elements were not overplayed. (Not a single bomb with lots of wiring and a clock with big red numbers ticking down!)
- JJ Abrams bingo - eat a fistful of popcorn for every cast member who was in 'Felicity'
- Several cast members do 'The Cruise' AKA the couch jumping arm-waving fist-pumping pseudo-euphoria...whether they are teasing Tom C or not, at least they are publicly (on celluloid, no less) stating how dumb that move actually looks.
- Truman Capote was one heck of a villain - too bad he doesn't have all that much screen time. One hopes this will keep him from succumbing to 'now that I have an Oscar I am above all that' nonsense.
- Only a few cliches are major beats in the story, and to Mr Abrams' credit, there are no bits of people screaming 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' at any one time, along with above noted absence of big red clocks attached to bombs.
- They had the guts to kill a major character at the very beginning of the movie; I wish other films worked this way, too...(The kid from FIREWALL? I would have offed him myself)

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home